We had a bit of a glitch lately with the club email and Contact Form on the website. Apologies to anyone who’s message has drifted off into the ether…
The good news is that the Contact Form is working again. Also, if you’d like to just write an email to us the old-fashioned way, you can contact WCTC at email@example.com
Please note that we are currently having difficulty with the club email service.
Please make all contact via our facebook page for now. Click Here
Please find links for results of yesterday’s race below.
TnM Overall Placings 2014
TnM Category Placings 2014
Updated link to Sports Timing… Tri na Móna Results
WCTC would like to wish club member Killian Deasy the best of luck this Sunday 24th Aug at Ironman Copenhagen. Killian has been burning up the roads of West Cork this year in preparation, and putting the hurt on the rest of us!
Follow his progress on Sunday here http://eu.ironman.com/
EVENT DATE: August 23rd
START TIME: 3pm
Depending on numbers, Race entry will be closing at midnight on 17th August.
AFTER THIS DATE WE CANNOT GUARANTEE THERE WILL BE ANY PLACES LEFT.
ALSO, AFTER THIS DATE THERE WILL BE NO MORE T-SHIRTS LEFT AS THE ORDER HAS TO GO IN ON MONDAY.
REGISTRATION at Skibbereen Eagle, Tragumna
Friday 22nd from 7pm to 9pm
Saturday 23rd from 12pm to 2pm
YOU MUST BRING YOUR FULL TRIATHLON IRELAND MEMBERSHIP CARD WITH PHOTO ATTACHED with you to register for the race.
IF YOU ARE NOT a full triathlon Ireland member YOU MUST GET A ONE DAY LICENSE. This can be got onwww.triathlonireland.com
PLEASE BRING A PRINT OUT AS PROOF OF PURCHASE TO registration.
RELAY TEAMS: Just ONE MEMBER of each relay team must have EITHER a full triathlon Ireland membership card OR a one day license.ALL members of the teams must come to register and YOU MUST BRING your full triathlon Ireland membership card OR a one day license.
ALL COMPETITORS….PLEASE BRING EITHER OF ABOVE TO REGISTER AS THIS IS YOUR INSURANCE FOR THE EVENT.
NO INSURANCE, NO RACE.
TRANSITION OPENS: SATURDAY 1pm
RACE BRIEFING: 2:30pm
RACE START: 3pm
Following the successful Bantry Duathlon held earlier this year, West Cork Tri Club proudly presented a cheque for €591.00 to Cancer Connect.
Pictured left to right are James Cleary of Club Maritime (main sponsor), Helen O’Driscoll of Cancer Connect, Michael Butler of WCTC, and Merlin Tanner.
For more information on the very valuable service that Cancer Connect provide to the people of the West Cork area please visit the following link: http://www.ruraltransport.ie/cancer-connect/
Main event sponsor: http://www.themaritime.ie/en/club-maritime-bantry/
Brian Harrington has become the latest athlete from WCTC to qualify for National Age Group Selection! Brian’s achievement comes hot on the heels of our bumper year of 2013, when Tim O’Regan, Luke McCarthy and Paudie O’Donovan represented Ireland on the international race scene, and Anders Ingelsten represented his native Sweden.
Brian has been competing in National Series events to gain enough points for selection, putting in consistently strong performances at triAthy (Standard), Two Provinces (Sprint), and Lough Cutra Castle (Standard).
Competing at Lough Cutra Castle Tri (photo courtesy of Martin Jancek)
Location for ETU Euro Champs 2015 is yet to be confirmed, while ITU Worlds are due to be staged in Chicago.
We would like to extend our congratulations to Brian, and hope that his good form continues throughout the remainder of the 2014 season.
Congrats to Chris Mintern and Katie Cooke overall winners of the 2014 Baltimore Beacon Sprint Triathlon. Full Results available here: http://www.sportsplits.com/Home/QuickResults?clientId=74&raceId=10273&raceName=Baltimore+Beacon+Triathlon
2014 Baltimore Beacon Sprint Competitor Race Briefing
A Triathlon Ireland Sanctioned event
750m Swim • 24km Bike • 4k Run
Saturday July 5th 2014 @ 11.00am
Baltimore New Pier, Co Cork
Please read the following information to ensure all competitors have a safe event
If you have any questions regarding this event please contact the race organizer Denis O’Mahony on (087) 061-8058 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Important Insurance Information
In order to register for this race you will need ONE of the following:
- Full Triathlon Ireland 2014 membership with photo ID
- A One-Day-License (ODL) which can only be purchased from the triathlon Ireland website (www.triathlonireland.com) before the event. Please note an ODL cannot be purchased at the event!
Note: only one member of a relay team needs either a full triathlon Ireland 2013 membership card or an ODL.
Remember: Without a Full TI membership card or ODL you will not be allowed to race!
|Race sign on and registration Friday Evening July 4th.
Please remember to bring your TI Membership card with photo or a ODL
|Baltimore Community Hall
|Race sign on and registration Saturday Morning July 5th.
Please remember to bring your TI Membership card with photo or an ODL
|Baltimore Community Hall
||Transition Area Opens. Bikes racked on a first come first serve basis
||New Pier (Next to Sailing Centre)
||Competitors’ race briefing
||Competitors may enter the water to acclimatize
||Event water start
||New Pier Slipway
||Prize Giving in Casey’s Bar
- Toilets will be available in Baltimore Community Hall. In addition, toilets and shower facilities will be available at Baltimore Community Swim/Leisure Centre.
- Please ensure bikes are in good working order, as they will be checked before they are allowed into transition. However it is the competitors’ own responsibility to have safe bike for event. Road bike, Time trial, Mountain bike or hybrid bike will be okay.
- Cycling Helmets must be in good condition and have CE mark. Please do not arrive at transition without your helmet or you will not be allowed to rack your bike until helmet is checked.
- You will receive two race numbers please have one on the back for cycling and one on the front for run section For race belts one number will do.
- Only Competitors will be allowed into transition this is for competitor safety and security of equipment that will be left there. No boxes or bags will be allowed next to bikes. If you leave box/bag next to bike before you start race referee may move it before you return so be aware. Only Bike shoes, runners, helmet, sunglasses and food/drink should be in transition next to bike (A towel can be used for under equipment and can also act to shield against RAIN!!!)
- Abuse of marshals will not be tolerated; they are giving up their time so please respect them.
- No littering on the route anything you take with you should be brought back.
Swim Section 750M
- Please do not enter the water unless you are capable of completing the swim as it endangers your life and puts pressure on safety resources and the future of our race.
- It is compulsory to wear a wetsuit. Swim caps will be provided and MUST BE WORN for easy visibility. The wearing of booties or gloves is not permitted.
- Experienced open water swimmers start at the front, less experienced at the back.
- The swim will start in the water entering from the new slipway next to transition, swimming in a triangular clockwise course around two large yellow markers. You will finish at back at the slipway, ensuring that you pass over the time keeping mat at the top of the slipway.
- The Baltimore Inshore Rescue boat will marshal the swim course and kayaks will be in the water to guide and assist swimmers where required.
- If a swimmer wishes to retire from the swim, lie on your back, raise your clenched fist in the air, stay calm and a rescue boat will come to your assistance.
- There is a 30-minute time limit for the swim but if a marshal feels you are endangering yourself or others you can be withdrawn from the water. You will be allowed to continue the race but will receive no official time.
Bike Section 24km
- Your race number must be worn on the back. Failure to have your number visible will result in a 1-minute time penalty.
- Your helmet must be fastened before removing your bike from the rack.
- You will exit the transition area and run/walk with your bike to the mount/dismount line where you will mount your bike.
- There will be no drafting or side by side riding on the bike course.
- When you return you will dismount at the mount/dismount line and walk/run back to the transition area.
- You must replace your bike in your own spot on the rack BEFORE removing your helmet.
Bike Route – An out and back course from Baltimore to Skibbereen and back. After about 200 meters riders will turn right up a short climb turning left to join the main road out of Baltimore to Skibbereen. Please take care at this junction. This part of the course will be marshaled and you will be advised to SLOW DOWN considerably when returning before making a sharp right turn across traffic back to the transition area. There will also be strictly NO OVERTAKING on this part of the course. The roads will not be closed and the rules of the road apply. Gardaí and Stewards will marshal the route and must be obeyed at all times. The turn around point for the bike route will be just before you come into Skibbereen, next to the Skibbereen Retirement Village. Again SLOW DOWN and yield to traffic as you turn around.
IMPORTANT – The bike route is along country roads including sharp bends and hills so caution must be taken at all times. Again, the roads will not be closed and the rules of the road apply.
RUN – 4 KILOMETRES
- Your race number must be worn on the front. Failure to have your number visible will result in a 1-minute time penalty.
The run is a 4km out and back course to the Beacon. The course heads uphill through the Village and back down towards the cove, turning left on to the Beacon road. Competitors continue along this road with the turn-around located at the end of the cul-del-sac after approx. 1.8 km. Competitors head back the same route as far as the village turning right on to “New Road” heading up hill and back around heading downhill and turning left on to Village Moorings road before turning right towards transition/Finish line. There will water stops at 1.5 km and 2.1 Km. At the finish please remove your timing chip.
GOOD LUCK AND ENJOY THE RACE!!!!!
The popular Bantry Duathlon had a good level of entrants on a day that did not look promising at dawn. The rain eased and with a moderate but warm winds the event started at 9.30 am with 63 athletes. The event went off very smoothly and as the weather warmed up the challenging cycle spread the field out. In general the times were very fast.
The overall winners were as follows:
Male: 1st – Mark McGarry, 2nd – Edwin Sutton, 3rd – Kevin Curran
Female: 1st – Katie Cooke, 2nd – Cliodhna Spain, 3rd – Maire Claffey
Relay: 1st – Debbie and Brian McCarthy
Special thanks to the Sponsors (Club Maritime, The Maritime Hotel, The Edge, and the Physical Therapy Room of Bantry), as well as the 30 marshals who supported the event.
Ps – Can Maire Claffey please contact Michael on 085-2853322 please
Race Results for Bantry 2014