The popular Bantry Duathlon had a good level of entrants on a day that did not look promising at dawn. The rain eased and with a moderate but warm winds the event started at 9.30 am with 63 athletes. The event went off very smoothly and as the weather warmed up the challenging cycle spread the field out. In general the times were very fast.
The overall winners were as follows:
Male: 1st – Mark McGarry, 2nd – Edwin Sutton, 3rd – Kevin Curran
Female: 1st – Katie Cooke, 2nd – Cliodhna Spain, 3rd – Maire Claffey
Relay: 1st - Debbie and Brian McCarthy
Special thanks to the Sponsors (Club Maritime, The Maritime Hotel, The Edge, and the Physical Therapy Room of Bantry), as well as the 30 marshals who supported the event.
Ps – Can Maire Claffey please contact Michael on 085-2853322 please
Race Results for Bantry 2014
Our second Duathlon for 2014 is taking place in Bantry this Sunday at 09:30. Enter online at https://www.triathlonireland-newserver.com/local-races.html, or on the morning of the race down at registration.
The route consists of a 3k run along the waterfront, a 22k cycle towards Durrus and surrounding area, and a repeat of the first 3k run.
For full race details please consult the race briefing HERE Race briefing for the Bantry Duathlon 2014, or contact race organiser Michael Butler at 085 2853322
*** One Day Licences no longer available through TI website, but are available to buy at Registration on the morning of the race ***
Race results are now finalised and online for yesterday’s Duathlon in Clonakilty.
Over 100 athletes tackled the scenic roads of West Cork yesterday morning in the first of WCTC’s two early-season duathlons. Conditions were cold, with a little spray of rain earlier in the morning to add a bit of grease to the roads. After 2 laps of the new running path at Clonakilty Showgrounds, the athletes headed out on an extended cycle leg due to flood damage on the planned route. The altered route took in a few extra hills in Ardfield, before dropping back to sea level at Twohig’s Hill and back into Clonakilty. John O’Connell of Cork Tri put the boot in on the bike leg, moving up a number of places. By T2, John had moved over a minute clear of the chasers, and continued to stretch his lead until the end of the second run, finishing 1m 25s ahead of 2nd place.
Male Placings -
1st John O’Connell
2nd Jude McEntee
3rd Mark McGarry
1st Cliodhna Spain
2nd Ciara Mangan
3rd Tamara Hickey
Relay Team Placings -
1st Team McCarthy
Full results here… Clonakilty Duathlon 2014 Updated Results
Due to circumstances beyond our control, a section of the planned cycle route for next Sunday’s duathlon is impassable.
The race route has been altered as little as possible. It now turns south through Rathbarry towards Ardfield direction, see map below. The new route is just over 26km long. We regret any inconvenience caused.
Sizing night for new club gear has been finalised as Wednesday 26th March, at the Quality Hotel in Clonakilty. Fittings to take place from 18:30 to 19:30.
This applies to you if:
- You paid for club gear last year that was found to be faulty or had fit issues
- You want to place an order for new club gear and are a fully paid up 2014 club member
The rep from Titan sports is coming down on the night with the new sample kit for sizing purposes.
Again, if you fall into category 2 above, you need to be a paid-up 2014 club member. Costing to follow shortly.
Siobhán on her way to victory
Congratulations to Siobhán Dineen from WCTC on her recent win at the St. Patrick’s Weekend Killarney Adventure Race!
The adventure race is a one day multi-sport race, taking place in the Killarney National Park, part of the Kerry Way and the Black Valley.
Siobhán covered 52km of adventure trail, split over 5 different sections:
Stage 1 – Cycle 20km
Stage 2 – Trail Run 9.5km
Stage 3 – Kayak 0.5km
Stage 4 – Trail Run 2.5km
Stage 5 – Cycle 20km
A field of 265 athletes started the race, with 259 finishing. Her finishing time of 3:12:52 earned her 1st Female, and a massive 26th overall. She was followed closely by another West Cork woman, Claire O’Donovan, finishing just 48secs back in a time of 3:13:40. This time was good enough for 2nd Female, and 29th overall.
Claire O’Donovan en route to 2nd place
Full results here:
(All photos courtesy of Killarney Adventure Race)
Details for the upcoming WCTC Duathlon Series as follows:
Clonakilty Race - Sun 23rd March 2014
Bantry Race – Sun 06th April 2014
Approximate distances for both races: 2-3k Run / 16-20k Cycle / 2-3k Run
Entry is via Triathlon Ireland webpage https://www.triathlonireland-newserver.com/local-races.html
- Clonakilty cycles have started on Sundays. Leaving from the Park Leisure Centre at the Quality Hotel @ 09:00
- Skibbereen cycles have started on Sundays. Leaving from CH Marine @ 07:30
- Novice / Beginner cycles have started on Saturdays. Leaving from the Park Leisure Centre at the Quality Hotel @ 14:00. This spin is for anyone who is worried about cycling in large groups or on one of the faster / longer training spins.
- WCTC Bootcamp organised for 1st Mar.The plan is a bit rough around the edges yet:
- Meet at Clonakilty Leisure Centre @ 09:00
- Cycle to Inchydoney where we will meet with James Deasy (we’re gonna meet his friend PAIN, but have a serious amount of fun at the same time!) 10:00 – 12:00. Bring runners, a towel, drinks, warm jacket for spin home
- Cycle back to the Leisure Centre for a wash & change – Go for a coffee / sandwich in the coffee dock / hotel
- Anders is hoping to do a session on transition technique after lunch time, followed by a practical session outdoors
All participants MUST be 2014 WCTC & TI members
- First open water club swim for 2014 to be scheduled on Sunday 27th Apr @ 16:00 at Lough Hyne.. Bring tea / coffee and a picnic for afterwards if you like.
Check Facebook for updates regarding time-changes etc. All sessions subject to weather conditions.
Our Races 2014
- Sun 23rd of March Clonakilty Duathlon Sprint
- Sun 06th of April Bantry Duathlon Sprint
- Sat 05th of July Baltimore Beacon Sprint Tri
- Sat 23rd of August Tri na Móna Tri Sprint (Skibbereen)
More info will come up later